What is Inspiration?
Don’t ask me… Go google it. But to be brief, Oxford Dictionary provides us with a definition: “The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative”. That sounds simple enough, but then some things make us feel, but don’t inspire… like if a brick would fall on your foot, you’d feel that, but would it be inspirational? … Hmmm, now that I think of it, maybe it would be! But I digress…
What inspires me?
Every person is inspired by different things. I can tell you what I am inspired by… and in turn maybe inspire you to seek some of those inputs out. And I am also interested in hearing what inspires you.
1. Lying somewhere in the dark and looking up to the stars (hence that dreamy/lying picture for this post)… Always does the trick for me to inspire me and both make me feel insignificant and yet also purposeful…
2. Books… I am pretty flexible, although I prefer fiction. I can read Sophie Kinsella, Clive Barker (who some of you would find gruesome, … and yes, true… but also very reflective on life and death and everything in between), David Mitchell (oh my, don’t even get me started on him)…
3. Music. Some artists who inspire me are: Mylène Farmer, Lily Allen, Lana Del Rey but also oh so many more…
4. Animation Series… Funny you would think my work is mainly inspired by cartoons, but actually the reason I draw cartoons are animation series. I always revert to Japanese anime series for major inspiration. Neon Genesis Evangelion for example. But I grew up with Captain Harlock, Gigi, Candy-Candy and (non-Japanese) Mysterious City of Gold!
5. Animation Movies… Anything from the Ghibli Studios really. And no, not the Hollywood/Disney type of animation. With some exceptions those were nice to look at, but they never really inspired me. I implore you to watch Hayao Miyazake’s Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and/or Howl’s Moving Castle!
6. Movies… Go watch Lucy by Luc Besson (or even better, one of his previous efforts Angel-A… and I challenge you not to cry the last 10 minutes straight)! ’nuff said! (Oh and don’t even ask me if i like the new instalment of Transformers, because I didn’t see it and I don’t care!)
7. The Art of Drag… (and if you don’t know what I mean, then that one is probably not for you… or google RuPaul and find out for yourself)
Apart from that, of course other people inspire me CONSTANTLY (but that’s kind of obvious, isn’t it? We all inspire each other in this world)… conversations… trying to make sense of stuff!… But the one thing I try to avoid is daily news or movies based on true events (unless events were uplifting), because I find life to be somewhat depressing at times!
What inspires you?
I gave you quite a run for your money, haven’t I?… so please, let me know what inspires you! I am interested and very happy to broaden my horizon!! Bring it on!
Please comment: Comments (14)